Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Deliberations Continue #SOLC #SOL24

While in the school lobby heading into the auditorium, a colleague stopped me to say, "This is what I miss.  Teachers excited about teaching."

I most certainly was excited. My class was getting ready for their mock trial about Poe's "The Tell-Tale Heart."

The prosecution and defense were readying themselves on the stage, and the jury was seated with their clipboards.

The students were excited, too, and I have to say their teamwork and effort was amazing this year.  As we were walking, I could hear their chatter about wanting to "win" and how nervous they were.  The jury had their evidence charts copied and ready. When I entered, they were poised to start.

By the end of the period I had tears in my eyes. Why? Because...

  • the evidence they chose to prove their points was stellar
  • the explanations and connections back to their thesis were superb
  • their presentations were professional
  • the jury members were busy taking notes
  • the jury talked about the merits of both cases
  • the jury could not decide because "both sides were so good"
  • the prosecution and defense were eager for a decision and left school with hope that they might prevail 
The excitement was real, and I was so proud.  I do wonder, though, do they realize that this proves that they are indeed writers? And darn good ones!

Deliberations will continue tomorrow.  This might be our first hung jury, and that would be just perfect.  




1 comment:

  1. Wow, I would have loved to see your students' participation today. I always loved mock trials. What fun and what joy to see your students be professional and really digging into the text as evidence. I can totally understand your tears. One story I liked to use for mock trial was "Lamb to the Slaughter" by Roald Dahl although it's a bit tricky because the reader knows who the killer is.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking About Change #SOL

I have been thinking about change. It has been a part of my work life for about three years now, and it will not stop for a while. So when E...