Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Lilac Memories #SOLSC #SOL24

There are a few plants in my yard that were planted to represent memories from my childhood. There is one that was planted in a particular place because it was my favorite place to read. It is the lilac bush next to the chimney on the side of the house. Every time I walk by it, I remember.


I remember
sitting next to you
in silence
while I read 
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret.

I remember 
standing next to you
lunging forward
waiting for the rolling ball
to kick across the yard.

I remember 
the patch of grass
along the chimney,
a cushion for me
as I sat lost in story.

I remember 
the patch of dirt
worn from moving feet,
a time when children 
played for hours outside.

And now, 
in another place,
you stand 
next to a chimney
waiting for me
to come sniff your
purple blooms, 
which transport me
to another time.  




2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog, but do not comment often. You are such a powerful writer using a variety of genres and forms. I love seeing your inspirations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, how have I missed your posts so far this month? I just saw the link on Leigh Anne's word buffet party post. I think this poem will inspire a post for me this month because as I read it, I thought of some of the things I remember from my childhood backyard. I like the format, and look forward to remembering my yard and things I did there.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking About Change #SOL

I have been thinking about change. It has been a part of my work life for about three years now, and it will not stop for a while. So when E...