Thursday, March 14, 2024

A Word Party! I AM IN! #SOLSC #SOL24

 Thank you, Leigh Anne, for the invitation to you word buffet.  I am so excited to come.  Now, decisions, decisions!

I am excited to bring the the following words to your buffet:

Ubiquitous - present, appearing, or found everywhere.  I love the sound of this word. On the platter, I would serve cell phone candies and Dunkin' Donuts because they are both found everywhere. I also love this word because my son loves to make fun of my adoration of it by saying it with an extra syllable, and it sounds like u-bi-quish-us.

Matriculate - to enroll as a member of a body and especially of a college or university. On this platter, I would serve little graduation cap cupcakes to celebrate our calling - education. I learned this word when I entered Wheaton College.  My college years were truly transformative, and the word always stuck with me.

Mystery - a piece of fiction dealing usually with the solution of a mysterious crime. I would bring stickers of some of my favorite book covers to scatter over the buffet table. When I was a child, I was always spending time with a book. My favorites were mysteries, especially Nancy Drew and the Bobbsey Twins.  My love of mysteries continues.  In another life, I would be an FBI profiler and try to solve serial crimes.  

Lavender - widely cultivated for its narrow aromatic leaves and spikes of lilac-purple flowers which are dried and used in sachets and from which is extracted an aromatic oil used chiefly in perfumery. I would bring some lavender candles for the table for ambience.  This word is always close by me in a variety of forms.  I have it planted around my pool. I have lavender candles, cream, soap, and oils.  It soothes my soul.

Mellifluous - sweet or musical; pleasant to hear. My final contribution would include some instrumental music to round out the event.  Music helps to calm me down and focus me on my work. I play it when I write and hum and move to the music. I get lost in whatever I am doing.  Plus, I hate cacophonous sounds (another favorite word, but not appropriate for a party); they totally stress me out.

I can't wait to attend the party to see what other words people will bring.  







7 comments:

  1. Mellifluous is my favorite. I'll have to look up cacophonous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful words! And new ones to add to my lexicon! Thanks for joining the fun and sharing words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you explained your choice of words for the party and shared some of yourself in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, what lovely words you brought to this party. Mellifluous is such a beautiful sounding word, matching the definition. Lavender is such a great aroma and taste in teas. Thanks for the lovely sounds and smells.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first and the last word were new for me. They taste interesting. I enjoyed how you explained the words and the things that might represent them at the party. I am all for cupcakes! It was also interesting to learn that you'd be a FBI profiler in another life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all 5 of your buffet words!! Like me, you chose words that sound a way that make them fun to say aloud. Thanks for adding to the buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I am asked my favorite word I alwasy choose mellifluous. I am also a big lavender lover.

    ReplyDelete

Thinking About Change #SOL

I have been thinking about change. It has been a part of my work life for about three years now, and it will not stop for a while. So when E...