Monday, March 25, 2024

It Has Been Too Long #SOLC #SOL24

My evenings are always busy, and I find that I spend any spare time trying to check off as many to dos on my list as I can.

Today was different.  

I had a department meeting after school and then rushed out to get to my physical therapy appointment.  

I arrived home a bit hungry, so I decided to eat dinner right away before my tutoring session tonight. I sat down and started to think about all of the things I should get done before heading to the library:  correcting, slicing, logging food, cleaning the kitchen, etc. I could have accomplished all of that.

But, I did not.

Instead, I grabbed my book, went upstairs, and climbed under my warm fleece sheets. For the next hour, I read without stopping.  I did not pick up my phone to look at the text that came in while I read. I did not open Tik Tok.  I did not look at Facebook. I did not close my eyes to take a quick nap.

I simply got lost in the story. I sighed. I smiled. My heart beat a little faster at times.  A few tears of happiness gathered around my eyes.  I did not stop until I was done.

I closed the book and felt content.  Not because the story had a happy ending, but because, for the first time in a really long time, I did my most favorite thing since childhood before bed. I felt like I had been reunited with a long lost friend. 

I need to remember this hour and ensure that I make focused time for my relationship with books. 







4 comments:

  1. Yes you do Heather. My favorite line..."But I did not." Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delight for this fellow bibliophile to read. "I simply got lost in the story." What joyful words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I felt like I had been reunited with a long lost friend." You made it! The distractions are too many. So well done for making a conscious effort . We all have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this line: "I felt like I had been reunited with a long lost friend." It was a joy to read about how you used your time to refresh yourself! (Now I want to know what book you were reading!)

    ReplyDelete

Thinking About Change #SOL

I have been thinking about change. It has been a part of my work life for about three years now, and it will not stop for a while. So when E...